Usually, at this time of year, I am frazzled beyond recognition.
Usually, at this time of year, it’s a downward spiral of stress from October.
Usually, at this time of year, I’m overstretched, overcommitted, overwhelmed and over it.
But 2020 has been anything but usual.
For the first time that I can recall I am not my usual self, and I love it. Heeelllooo there, nice to meet you.
It’s a week into December and I am calm, cool and collected and sans tranquillisers.
It is indeed a Christmas miracle.
Thank you 20/20
The pandemic made me prioritise and put things into perspective;
- Busyiness is not a bragging right.
- Being still is subliminal.
- Productivity is more effective if you do less.
- Rest is best.
- Recovery is resuscitative.
- Turns out I can live without handbags and heels and about 2/3 of my wardrobe.
- 30minutes of moving my body every day is mandatory and keeps depression at bay.
- I am still able to function when the kids rooms are a mess.
- Best thing for bored kids is to back off. Let them be bored.
- Phone family. Phone friends. Often.
- Stop and smell the roses, and pull some weeds out while you are there. Gardening isn’t just for grannies. (Sorry Mom, but see… I’m learning and appreciating)
- You can live on what’s left in the pantry and the bottom of the freezer for at least a week.
- If it’s broken, fix it, up cycle it or toss it, now. Not later.
- I’ve been meaning to… is a cop out. Do it or don’t do it. Next thing it’s another lockdown and you are without a ball for the swingball set.
- “Should have…” is self loathing with glitter on it. Don’t be fooled. I should have made a proper dinner… is expectations you put on yourself. Nutella sarmies were a fan favourite and no dishes. Whose won that round right?
- Sometimes all you need is a glass of water.
- Bathing, swimming and walking barefoot are all grounding and goooood for the soul. Noddy badge to me for learning to be ok with dirty feet. Ok well not totally ok, but ok enough.
- Boundaries are an anxiety queen’s best friend. Did you know that “No.” is a complete sentence?
- Routine is a recipe for success and an antidote for anxiety and ADD. There’s your 2-for-1 special right there.
- You can live a beautiful, perfectly life, imperfectly.
Thank you 2020 for stopping my world long enough for me to pause, reflect and appreciate what I have, how far I’ve come, how much I’ve grown and what’s most important to me.
Thank you 2020 for the present.
Leave a Reply